Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Flashback!!! NYC Marathon 2009!


Before the marathon, my longest run was 8 miles. How I did 26.2 miles is beyond my comprehension.

The first half of the marathon was surprisingly a breeze! My half marathon time 13.1 miles was 2:34! Not too shabby if you ask me.

Then it went downhill from there on.

I started feeling sick, vomiting, and in pain just about everywhere! I stopped at a medical tent for a bit. After sitting amongst the other runners keeled over and moaning, I got my butt out of there, and didn't look back!

I continued to run, or rather drag my weakened, injured body towards the 26.2 mile finish line. I continued to vomit here and there. I cried. I cursed. Every time I wanted to quit I told myself that I've gotten this far, how can it end now, and have all the hard work and pain mean nothing.

Fast-forward several hours later, and there I was, crawling across the finish line! The resulting time was 6:58. Not the most exciting number to the world, but to me, the race was over, and I reached the finish line, alive!

Let this be a lesson to all. Please train sufficiently! I pushed off the training to the point of less than 6 weeks of training! Train your butt off. It'll be worth it in the end!



No comments: